Sunday 15 February 2015

A man’s greatest achievement is marriage; It has transformed even my music - Timi Dakolo


Nigerian singer and winner of first season of Idols West Africa in 2007, Timi Dakolo dishes on the joy of marriage, fatherhood, and how he has been able to stay strong and resist temptation in an exclusive interview with The Entertainer. 

On How He Resists Temptations....
“The Bible says ‘many are the afflictions of the righteous man.’ What I do is that I stay out of trouble and the way I avoid temptation is by sitting in my house and watching football, playing video games and doing music, and I am always so happy at the end of the day. “I always try to push my wife in people’s faces whenever I have the opportunity be­cause when it comes to temptation, no man is as strong as he thinks he is and that is the truth. So if you want toavoid temptation, just sit in your house and don’t forget that our industry is a very unforgiving one; I don’t want scandals.”
On How Marriage Has Transformed Him...
“Marriage has really transformed me,”life is not just what it used to be any more I must confess. I can’t do a lot of things I want to do anymore because now I am married and it has made me more responsible. These days I think for more than just one person. Marriage makes you start every journey with an end in mind and that is the joy of being married. “Even as I speak to you I am thinking of how I will pay school fees and house rent. A lot of responsibility comes with marriage but then, it also comes with a lot of favour; undeserved favour, favour you can’t even explain being showered upon you from left right and centre.
About His Kids....
 “I have three kids now and I can confidently tell you that my wife and I are done making children; no more kids because I have three already. I am done with making babies.” 
About His Wife, Busola
 “Before I got married I prayed to God for a woman who would understand me and my moods because I could be very easily distracted and destabilised so I wanted a woman that would not give me trouble but rather, complement me. “The truth is when I am troubled and distressed I could be the least creative person for as much as four days at a stretch so because I wanted peace in my home, because I wanted somebody that would understand when I tell her that ‘baby, you can’t talk to me now I am writing,’ and she wouldn’t get upset, I had to pray a lot and I thank God I found that person in my wife. “Now you could tell that to some people and they would get very angry and upset with you but my wife does not because she understands and sometimes, when I am busy and the kids are getting in the way she tells them ‘don’t go there, daddy wants to be alone.’ “She understands my moods. That is how we are. She is my greatest critique. A man’s greatest achievement is marriage. Marriage has transformed even my music.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment