Thursday 2 April 2015

Jega set to quit as INEC chairman


Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof Attahiru Jega, has declared that he is not interested in another term when his current tenure expires in June.
Jega was appointed by President Goodluck Jonathan in 2010 to replace Prof Maurice Iwu.
Speaking in an interview with the Hausa Service of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC Hausa) Thursday night, Jega said having played his role in the political space for five years, it was time another person to contribute his or her own quota.
“I am grateful to God. I was asked to come and contribute my own quota to the national development and I have done my bit to the best of my ability.
“Whatever assignment one will do for five years – just like this difficult one, to me if one is able to successfully accomplish the task, someone else should be given the opportunity, because for me I am not interested and if I am requested to serve again, I will not do it, by God’s grace,” Jega said. 

1 comment:

  1. I hope we find a man of integrity to take over from him when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete