Thursday 15 October 2015

As President, I Enjoyed Being Insulted — Obasanjo


Olusegun Obasanjo has confessed that when he was a sitting president of Nigeria he enjoyed being insulted by political opponents or critics.
Olusegun Obasanjo
Vanguard reports that Obasanjo made his surprising statement on Wednesday, October 14, speaking at the first international conference of the African Studies Association of Africa. The conference entitled “African Studies in the Twenty-First Century, Past, Present and Future” was held at the International Conference Centre of the University of Ibadan, Oyo state.
The former president revealed that all those published insults were kept in the archives at his presidential library.
“If you visit the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library in Abeokuta, you will find thousands of archived newspaper comics and columns meant to spite and insult my person even as a sitting president. No individual or group of people was ever queried or jailed or repressed for expressing this freedom. Rather, I encouraged them because I derived fun and pleasure from the humour as I know who I am and nobody needs to tell me who and what I am not,”he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment