Wednesday 14 October 2015

Why I deleted my Twitter account – Zahra Buhari


In an interview with Maryam Laushi, one of the daughters of President Muhammadu Buhari- Zahra, revealed that she abhors overt attention.
Zahra Buhari, was once the victim of a fake Twitter account, that tweeted an offensive swipe at the President of Gambia.
During the interview, she spoke on the experience of that episode and the backlash she got from Nigerians.
“I don’t feel good at all because the first question that comes to your mind is ‘why would someone want to be me?’ And why would you want to taint someone’s image?
I knew many people would be tricked into thinking it was me, that bothered me and when the fake controversial comments came out about me talking about a president, I was hurt because this wasn’t an insult to my family only, it was to the whole of Nigeria because it is just like saying members of the first family don’t have a proper upbringing.”
“Why would I insult a president? Why would I insult any person in general? It’s just not right. So I asked them to come up with that press release because that was the only way it would get out to people as soon as possible. That was not me and I wouldn’t do such a thing.”
Speaking further, Zahra explained the rationale behind her decision to delete her Twitter account, after she had become a cult hero on Nigerian Twitter.
She said: “Yes it did. I was getting too much attention and naturally I do not like attention like that.”
“I would always try to quietly do my thing but then I realized that anything I said was a topic and that was exam period, there was a lot of stress and I just didn’t want any of that and obviously there were a lot of comments –good and bad and so I was just like maybe it’s time to step out of this for some time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment