Friday 13 March 2015

Chimamanda Adichie reveals she sometimes suffer from depression


Award winning novelist, Chimamanda Adichie has just made a startling revelation that she suffers depression from time to time in an exclusive interview with Olisa.tv.
The 38-year old Americanah author revealed that depression is a thing she has battled since her childhood days: 
‘I have actually always been quite open about having depression. By depression, I don’t mean  being sad. I mean a health condition that comes from time to time and has different symptoms and is very debilitating. I’ve mentioned it publicly in the past, but I have always wanted to write about it. I was meeting many people who I could tell were also depressive, and I was noticing how hush-hush it all was, how there was often a veil of silence over it, and I think the terrible consequence of silence is shame.’
‘Depression is difficult. It is difficult to experience, difficult to write about, difficult to be open about. But I wanted to do it. For myself, in a way, because it forced me to tell myself my own story, which can be helpful. But also for other possible sufferers, especially fellow Africans, because there is something very powerful about knowing that you are not alone, and that what happens to you also happens to other people.
‘Depression is something I have recognized since I was a child. It is something I have accepted. It is something I will have to find ways to manage for the rest of my life. Many creative people have depression. I wonder if I would be so drawn to storytelling if I were not also a person who suffers from depression.’





No comments:

Post a Comment