Many people suffer the embarrassment of having dark skin patches around their neck. This is a fairly common skin pigmentation disorder known as acanthosis nigricans. It is not an infection and is not contagious.
Aging and sun exposure are the main causes of dark discoloration on the neck. Other causes are diabetes, genetics, polycystic ovary syndrome, poor hygiene, and sudden weight loss or weight gain.
There are many natural remedies to reduce the discoloration of skin around the neck.
Aloe vera is a kind of natural skin lightener and also moisturizes the skin. It can lighten skin color to a great extent and reduce various skin spots. Aloe vera is also rich in antioxidants and various other compounds that help repair and produce new skin cells.
- Extract pure aloe vera gel from the leaf.
- Apply it directly on the neck and gently massage it. Leave it on for about 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with water.
- Repeat this once daily for fast results.
Walnuts contain vitamins and minerals that nourish the skin. They also help keep the skin moisturized, which is essential for healthy skin. To treat dark skin on the neck, a scrub made of walnuts and yogurt is very effective.
- Mix crushed walnuts in yogurt to make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on the dark portion of your neck. Gently scrub for a few minutes and then allow it to dry.
- Wash it off using cold water or rose water.
If done on regular basis, about twice a week, this remedy will rejuvenate your neck skin and reduce any dark appearance.
Cucumber can also be used to improve the appearance of your neck area. Cucumber has soothing properties that help repair skin cells, remove dead skin cells and add glow to the skin.
- Apply grated cucumber or cucumber juice all over your neck and gently scrub for about 10 minutes. Wash it off with rose water or cold water.
- Another option is to mix equal amounts of cucumber juice and lemon juice and apply it on your neck using cotton balls. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then wash it off with cold water.
Lemon has citric acid, which is a natural bleaching agent. Also, the vitamin C present in lemon helps remove dead cells and lighten skin tone. Hence, lemon can be used to effectively lighten the dark complexion of your neck area.
- Apply lemon juice to the dark skin using a cotton ball. If you have sensitive skin, dilute the lemon juice with water. Leave it on for 20 minutes and then wash it off with cold water. Make sure not to expose your neck to direct sunlight after applying lemon juice.
- Another option is to mix equal parts of lemon juice and rose water. Apply this mixture around the neck area before going to bed. Do this daily for about a month to see visible results.
Baking soda works as a natural skin exfoliant and cleanses the skin and slowly removes dark, discolored patches. The combination of baking soda and water has proven quite effective in removing hyper-pigmentation that forms around the neck.
- Mix three parts of baking soda and one part of water to form a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on your neck and let it dry.
- Wash it off after a few minutes.
- Do this twice a week to enhance the complexion of your neck in just a few weeks.
The high amount of vitamin C in oranges is also very helpful in lightening the skin tone. You can use orange peel to cleanse as well as bleach the skin.
- Put some orange peel in the sun and let it dry out. Then grind it into a powder. Add equal amount of whole milk to the powdered orange peel to make a thick paste. Apply the paste around the neck area and allow it to dry. Wash it off with cold water.
- Alternatively, you can grate the orange peel and add orange juice to it. Apply this mixture on your neck and leave it on for 10 minutes before washing it off with cold water. Do this daily.